Preparing for Your Faith Journey
There are so many reasons to choose a Christian university, such as becoming part of a supportive community and Christ-centered academics. Whatever your aim, one thing’s for certain — you can count on being stretched spiritually. Our Christ, Culture & the University course is required for all new students and is foundational to the faith journey you’re embarking on here at Southeastern.
Christ, Culture and the University
In small classes intended to promote discussion and community-building, you’ll read thought-provoking texts, learn about yourself through the Myers-Briggs® personality assessment, hear from a noted visiting speaker and be introduced to three elements of the SEU experience: academics, spiritual formation and social responsibility.
This course is required for all incoming freshmen. With small class sizes and interactive teaching, students learn three essential elements of Southeastern University’s mission and vision: Academics, Spiritual Formation, and Social Responsibility.
Upon course completion, students will:
- Think critically from a Christian worldview.
- Demonstrate an awareness of personal gifts, calling and temperament.
- Practice cultural engagement.
- Gracious Christianity: Living the Love We Profess
by Dr. Douglas Jacobsen and Dr. Rodney Sawatsky
- This Adventure Called Life: Discovering Your Divine Design
by Dr. Kent Ingle
- College in the Spirit: Christian Higher Education as a Calling
by Dr. Rickey Cotton and Dr. Paul Corrigan
Sample Course Activities
- Service Project
Serve in the community and share about your experience.
- Nature Walk
Reflect on the “God and Creation” chapter in Gracious Christianity.
Think critically about Christian and secular viewpoints.
- Show & Tell
Discover the role the Bible has played in your classmates’ faith journeys.
Past Visiting Speakers
- Dr. Peter Rollins, philosopher
- Dr. Paul Alexander, Society for Pentecostal Studies president
- Dr. Ron Sider, author and seminary professor
- Dr. Douglas Jacobsen, author of Gracious Christianity
- Jonathan Martin, speaker and author
- Brian Zahnd, church planter and author
- Dr. Belle Wheelan, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges president
- Dr. Harvey Cox, author of When Jesus Came to Harvard
First Year Experience
The Christ, Culture & the University course is just one tool we use to help you succeed in your new college environment. Click below to learn more about your exciting first-year experience at SEU.