Your guide to gaining professional experience this summer
Still undecided about what to do this summer? It’s tempting to while away the days, binge-watching your favorite shows on Netflix and raiding the kitchen pantry every afternoon, but there are several good reasons to gain as much professional experience as possible during your summer vacations. You’ll not only come back in the fall with some potentially cool stories to share with friends — you’ll also have the opportunity to earn some cash, complete internship and volunteer hour requirements, meet new friends from all over the world and create professional connections, many of which could land you a great first job after college.
To get started on finding last-minute professional opportunities and making the most of summer 2016, check out our list below of organizations that are still hiring.
City of Lakeland
The City of Lakeland oversees operations for Lakeland’s parks and recreational facilities, utilities, the Chamber of Commerce and other local services.
The City of Lakeland is currently seeking a summer intern to help design and implement a user-friendly intranet site as well as train others on how to use and update the site, among other duties.
- Deadline: None
- Compensation: $10–$15 per hour
- Location: Lakeland, FL
- Skills focus: Communications, IT
With an aim to relieve poverty worldwide, Relief International (RI) serves vulnerable communities by providing access to education, health care, clean water and economic opportunities. In 2015 alone, RI impacted 3.5 million people around the world and devoted $60 million to its initiatives.
- Deadline: Applications are generally accepted year-round (Somalia Program Intern application deadline is May 15)
- Compensation: Unpaid, but includes a transportation stipend and the opportunity to earn academic credit
- Locations: Offices in Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles, CA; and London, UK (option to work remotely for some positions)
- Skills focus: Communications, finance, human resources, IT
Samaritans has been leading the charge for the past 40 years in organizing compassionate suicide prevention programs in the Greater Boston, MetroWest and Western New York areas. The organization is dedicated to reducing the incidence of suicide by alleviating isolation, despair, suicidal feelings and distress among individuals.
In addition to several one-time volunteer opportunities available, Samaritans is currently seeking part-time summer interns to staff its 24/7 suicide prevention helplines.
- Deadline: April 22
- Compensation: Unpaid, but includes the opportunity to receive 150 hours of service throughout June–August
- Location: Boston, MA
- Skills focus: Psychology, counseling
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Now in its 132nd season, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is one of the five major American symphony orchestras and presents over 250 concerts annually. The BSO performs primarily at Boston’s Symphony Hall and, during the summer, at Tanglewood.
- Deadline: April 29 & 30; view specific position deadlines
- Compensation: Paid
- Location: Boston, MA
- Skills focus: Customer service, management, music business, management information systems
Penguin Random House
With a history dating back to the 1800s, Penguin Random House is one of the leading adult and children’s publishing houses in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions worldwide, with 70,000 digital and 15,000 print titles published annually. Its mission is to foster a universal passion for reading by partnering with authors to help create stories and communicate ideas that inform, entertain and inspire and to connect them with readers everywhere.
- Deadline: April 25
- Compensation: Unknown; contact 212.366.2000 or 212.782.9000
- Location: New York, NY
- Skills focus: Editorial, finance, graphic design, management, marketing, sales
For additional summer internship and volunteer opportunities, visit internships.com and search by interest, location, company or keyword. You can also reach out to our career services office, COMPASS: The Center for Calling & Career, at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in securing an internship or volunteer opportunity for this summer.