SEU Announces Search Committee for Next Provost
In an email to the SEU community on Tuesday, September 29, President Kent Ingle announced the 8-member committee to lead the search for the university’s next provost.
As was announced earlier in the semester, Dr. William Hackett, Jr., intends to step down from his role as provost at the end of the 2020–21 academic year. He will continue to serve the university as provost emeritus in addition to teaching courses in the Barnett College of Ministry and Theology.
The committee is made up of several faculty and staff members, in addition to a member of the SEU board of trustees.
The committee will be assisted by AGB Search, which has significant expertise in higher education searches. Details of how to submit candidate nominations to AGB will be forthcoming.
The full list of committee members is as follows:
- Dr. Chris Owen, committee chair, executive vice president
- Amy Beatty, dean of the library
- Sylvia Blackmon-Roberts, associate vice president of community relations
- Dr, Ben Gomez, assistant professor and director of youth ministry studies
- Dr. Debbie Hazelbaker, dean of the college of natural and health sciences
- Dr. Andrew Permenter, vice president for institutional research and effectiveness
- Dr. Kenneth Stephens, program director of the department of human services
- Dr. Doug Witherup, SEU board member
The committee will work with AGB to develop a description of qualities the university desires in its next provost. The finalists will be brought to campus in the spring, and the next provost is expected to be identified by the end of the spring semester.