College of Arts & Media Achievements
- Jason Old, assistant professor of spanish, has been invited to Cuba to present on the topic of “Multiculturalism and Alternative Cultures” at the XXI Festival of the Ibero-American Culture, hosted by the Congress of Latin American Thought (Holguin, Cuba).
- Jon Seals, assistant professor of visual art, was recently invited as one of two artists featured in the University of Montevallos’ art exhibition, A Mirror and a Door. This event took place at Bloch Hall Gallery, which is a significant public venue for the visual arts in the Montevallo community and in Shelby County, Alabama. Professor Seals displayed 10 original works of art in this two-person exhibit, alongside the work of Ryan Foster. The exhibit began September 3, 2015, and ran through September 24, 2015.
- Dr. Cameron McNabb, assistant professor of English, was interviewed on Georgia Public Radio concerning her article on the etymology and history of “y’all.” Click here to read the article.
- Caitlynn Ensley, a senior music education major, wrote her honors thesis, titled The Creative Commodity: A Study of Improvisation in Middle and High School Choral Classrooms in Florida. An abstract of Caitlynn’s research was submitted to the Florida Music Educators Association (FMEA) Research Committee earlier in fall 2015 by Dr. Mark Belfast. Her project was recently approved, and Caitlynn will be presenting it at the 2016 FMEA Professional Development Conference research poster session on January 15, 2016.
- On September 25, 2015, Southeastern University’s College of Arts & Media and Polk Arts Alliance partnered to present the SMART Business Symposium, an event emphasizing the economic impact of the arts in our community. There were 153 people in attendance, with an additional 20 individuals viewing the event online. Speakers for this event included Jay Dick, senior director of State and Local Government Affairs for Americans for the Arts; Dr. Dennis Cheek, executive director for National Creativity Network; Tammie Nemecek, director for GrowFL; Gavin McGuire, chief operations officer for Usher’s New Look Foundation; and Allen Reed, creative director for Madden Brand Agency.
- SEU alumna Hannah Haugen, in her debut flying solo as the director of bands at Auburndale High School, directed the AHS marching band to an overall superior rating with 42 students on the field at the Florida Bandmasters Association District 12 Marching Band Music Performance Assessment on October 24, 2015, with over 1,000 people in attendance.