BA in Sociology and English, Trent University
M Religion in Systematic Theology, Wycliffe College and the University of Toronto
PhD in Systematic Theology, University of St. Michael’s College and Toronto School of Theology (at the University of Toronto)
Dr. Peter Althouse is an advocate of research-based instruction, a teaching ethic that has benefited his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students. His teaching and research interests include Pentecostal and Charismatic studies, eschatology, pneumatology and the theologies of Jürgen Moltmann and Karl Barth.
Dr. Althouse is a prolific writer with a strong international reputation. His dissertation was published as “Spirit of the Last Days: Pentecostal Eschatology in Conversation with Jürgen Moltmann” (T & T Clark). In his autobiography, Moltmann says that Dr. Althouse is one of “the younger theologians of the Pentecostal movement” who envisions a dynamic eschatology “according to which the gifts and energies of the Holy Spirit which can be experienced here and now are ‘the powers of the future world’ (Hebrews 6:3).” Most recently, he has worked with Dr. Michael Wilkinson to publish “Catch the Fire: Soaking Prayer and Charismatic Renewal” (Northern Illinois University Press). He has presented papers at scholarly conferences throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and Europe. Dr. Althouse is especially interested in developing Pentecostal theology that is both faithful to the heart of the movement and critically engaged with theologies from other Christian traditions and scholarly disciplines.
Dr. Althouse teaches the following courses at Southeastern: Theology I and II, Introduction to Philosophy, Survey of Church History, Survey of Christian Theology and Pentecostal Theology. He also teaches Pentecostal Theology, Pentecostal Ecclesiology, Pneumatology, and Philosophy and the Christian Faith at the graduate level. Besides his areas of interest listed above, Dr. Althouse’s research interests also include the integration of theology, the church and education.
- Published (with Michael Wilkinson), Catch the Fire: Soaking Prayer and Charismatic Renewal. DeKalb, Illinois: Northern Illinois University Press, 2014.
- Published The Ideological Development of Power in Early American Pentecostalism. New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2010.
- Published Spirit of the Last Days: Pentecostal Eschatology in Conversation with Jürgen Moltmann. London: T & T Clark, 2003.
- Published Winds from the North: Canadian Contributions to Early Pentecostalism, eds. Michael Wilkinson and Peter Althouse. Netherlands: Brill Academic, 2010.
- Published Perspectives in Pentecostal Eschatologies: World without End, eds. Peter Althouse and Robby Waddell. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick, 2010.