Dr. Brian Kelly
Associate Professor of Practical Ministry
Email Professor Kelly
BA in biblical studies, Trinity Bible College
MA in biblical studies, Fuller Theological Seminary
PhD in practical theology (emphasis in spirituality/evangelism), Fuller Theological Seminary
Dr. Brian Kelly is the President and Founder of Barnabas Missions Unlimited, a non-profit corporation committed to informing, equipping, recruiting, and connecting lay persons, pastors, and all those committed to the task of evangelism. In addition to teaching at collegiate and seminary levels, Dr. Kelly has ministered in hundreds of churches across the U.S. and Latin America in the areas of evangelism, outreach, and church health.
Dr. Kelly's more than two decades of work as an equipping evangelist and his teaching career at Southeastern show his life's ambition "to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the whole Body of Christ may be built up...and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Eph. 4:11-13).
Dr. Kelly teaches the following undergraduate courses: Practical Theology of Evangelism, Pastoral Theology, Homiletics, Evangelizing & Discipling Youth, and Effective Missional Practices. In addition, Dr. Kelly teaches several classes in the graduate program, including The Shape of Practical Theology, Strategic Missional Leadership, Managing Change and Conflict, and Methods of Biblical Preaching/Teaching. His research interests include not only the relationship between conversion experiences and evangelism practices but also anything related to church health factors, with a focus on empirically-based research that will help future missionaries, pastors, and lay-leaders do a better job in leading the church into the 21st century.
- Presented "Measuring the Spirit's Move: The Boon and the Bane of Empirical Methods in the Study of Evangelism, Conversion, and Spirituality" to the Faith and Science Conference, Evangel University, June 2011.
- Presented "The Role of the Pentecostal Academy in the Foundation and Evaluation of Whole-Life Discipleship and Missional Christianity" at the Assemblies of God Educator's Conference, Evangel University, June 2011.
- Presented "Spirit-led Evangelism: Evaluative Criteria for Outreach Praxis in a Pentecostal Context" at the 39th Annual Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, March 2010.
- Published "A Practical Theology and Evangelism" in the Journal for the Academy for Evangelism in Theological Education, vol. 14, (1998-1999), 20-32.
- Published his dissertation: Toward a Practical Theology of Evangelism: Spiritual Pilgrimage as an Essential Paradigm for the Christian Conversion Process and Its Implications for Evangelism Methodologies. Ann Arbor: UMI Diss. Services, 2000.
- Published Biblical Tools for Reaching a Post-Modern World: Proven Approaches for Mobilizing a Faithful Witness. Scotts Valley, CA: Barnabas Missions Unlimited, 2002.
- Created Sharing our Spiritual Journey with Others: Principles for Personal Outreach: Seminar Series in DVD/VHS. Scotts Valley, CA: Barnabas Missions Unlimited, 2002.
- Published One Step Closer to Christ: Evangelism as Spiritual Pilgrimage Together. Scotts Valley, CA: Barnabas Missions Unlimited, 2001.